Monday, January 11, 2010

Habits

"They" say it takes 2 weeks to establish a new habit. I say it's more like 2 months. And only about 3 days to destroy it. But after 5 months of eating this new way, I definitely have established some new habits. I thought once I "allowed" myself to go off plan I might go crazy. But I like the new habits. I like the energy I have and the not waking up feeling like a truck hit me, the sleeping well at night, the lack of heartburn, and did I say energy??? I'm still amazed at how much energy I have. I'm sure it's a combination of losing 66 lbs combined with eating healthy - but it's really great.

I definitely underestimated the power of habits. I didn't understand how much it creates momentum and aids you in moving on with the goal. I guess I thought that the process would continue to be just as hard on day 200 as on day 7. But it's not. I mean, I knew in my head that it would be easier, but I actually got a chance to experience that this week. I wanted my old habits - I wanted to feel comfortable and at ease with my decisions. I wanted to get back to my new habits. How WONDERFUL is that!!

2 comments:

  1. Wendy.. I agree.. It has taken me years, but sometimes when I think about the way I use to eat, and then how I felt afterward, I can't believe I allowed those habits to go on for so long. It's so self destructive. I still have a long way to go, but I feel more confident that I will make the new habits, and love them.! You look great, and I admire you for putting all of your struggles out for all to see. Your beyond encouraging me, and I'm sure others.. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep going Wendy!!! So happy for you, btw- you are a great writer, really enjoy reading your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete