Sunday, July 4, 2010

Paradigm Shift

I remember the first time I read about a Paradigm Shift - it was explained this way - "I'm riding on the subway and a father is there with his 2 children. The children are being horrible, disruptive and loud and I'm getting angrier and angrier that the father isn't taking care of the situation. I finally say something, the father looks up and apologizes and says they are coming from the hospital where their mother just died. I now shift from being angry to being sympathetic. By shifting my perspective, my feelings and viewpoint make a total transformation."

This has always stuck with me - the power of perspective. We just don't have access to the "truth". We only see things from one perspective and who's to say ours is the correct or most accurate or the most kind perspective. There always is another way to view something. As one person said, "no matter how thin the pancake, there are always two sides". Profound indeed & uses a food analogy so it can't get much better!

So I'm making a Paradigm Shift this weekend. I've been doing really well on plan but I thought when it comes to my TOTM, I'm going to eat what I want & go off plan for a day. Yesterday I ate wonderful lime enchiladas from Chez Jose and a Sonic sundae and Round Table pizza - along with a big drink the night before. Didn't love the drink, didn't love the sundae and didn't love the pizza. Did love the enchiladas! So when I'm "allowing" myself to eat whatever I want why do I still choose things from my past perspective that I thought tasted good. I am making a shift & I'm going to now eat what I really want - this doesn't have to mean off plan. In fact, some of the best food I've eaten has been on plan and it took being on plan for me to even try it. I used to go to an Italian restaurant in my neighborhood - there were two things I'd always order, both horribly fattening and heavy. Now I eat the meatloaf (which I normally HATE but I LOVE theirs!) with fresh asparagus on the side - talk about a GREAT meal and one I would never have tried before.

So back on plan I go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment