Sunday, May 16, 2010

It's okay to not be HAPPY

"Right after I got sober (the first time), an interviewer asked me if I was happy, and I said, "Among other things."

Happy is one of the many things I'm likely to be over the course of a day and certainly over the course of a lifetime. But I think if you have the expectation that you're going to be happy throughout your life - more to the point, if you have a need to be comfortable all the time - well, among other things, you have the makings of a classic drug addict or alcoholic." - Carrie Fisher
Wishful Drinking

I related to this. One of the first lessons learned in my recovery of Emotional Eating is that I can handle this discomfort without eating - without trying to find comfort. It's OKAY to be uncomfortable. I can handle this intense emotion on my own. It's a bizarre lesson, isn't it? I mean, of course I can handle it - but for some reason most of us try to soothe the discomfort with substance abuse. Life is uncomfortable and messy - I'd like to think I would want to make the journey as pleasant as possible whereas it depends on me. Not add to the discomfort by creating an enormous pain-ridden body. It's okay to not be happy right now - I will be again later - but for now, survive the moment while taking care of yourself along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment