Monday, February 22, 2010

Hey Skinny

I'm in this strange ambiguous position of being 75 lbs lighter and still 100 lbs overweight. My friends now greet me with, "Hey Skinny!" Such a dichotomy of reality. I appreciate the sentiment but it feels strange. I went to the outlet mall with the kids today and I felt great walking around in my "skinny" jeans - size 20. What a difference from 6 months ago & yet in the windows I see a round overweight mom looking back. I always suffered from the opposite of body dysmorphia. Instead of being obsessed with my bodily flaws, I chose to remember myself as the robust, full bodied, 20-something, size 12 I once was. I think my losing weight has shed more light onto my real body image. I guess I'm moving into a more reality-based life in most areas so why not include body image to the list? The other day, I ran into someone that I hadn't seen for 19 years and it struck me that 6 months ago I would have been embarrassed to see him because of my weight but the other day I felt good - even though I'm still 100 lbs overweight. Perspective - it's all perspective. I wonder what he saw - there's no way to have the gift of reality from where we stand. There are too many areas beyond our field of vision. So onward I go . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment