Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Great Epiphany

The week before I started this new eating plan I was saying, "I just want to get this over with." Someone asked me what I meant. I meant that I didn't expect this process to be fun & I wanted to be on the other side. What I didn't realize is that even when I reach my goal, I won't be on the other side. The problem with people on diets is that exact thinking - that there will be an end to this new & improved eating program - that once you reach your goal, you can go back to the enjoyable lifestyle to which you had been accustomed. "Oh I know I can't eat like I did before, but I can eat a lot more than what I'm eating." But in reality, that will only put the weight back on.

The truth is, right now I need to eat 2700 calories a day to maintain my weight. Once I reach my goal I'll need to eat about 1800. But if I was honest, I was eating around 4000 calories on many days. I mean a Chipotle burrito alone is about 1000 calories & 98g of carbs. But I often had breakfast meetings and then Kurt & I often ate out for dinner. So when you're eating out all the time it's easy to eat 4000 calories in a day without even trying. Add a beer or wine & you've eaten 3 days' worth of calories.

So my horrible epiphany the other day was that THIS IS the other side. Right now I might be eating around 1100 calories a day but I won't be going back to my old life. I will be only adding a small lunch to what I'm doing now. THIS IS the reality - even when I reach my goal. It was actually a bit depressing. I'm hoping that when I'm thin it's less depressing, but we'll see. The days of wine & roses (beer & burritos) is behind me.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl!!!! Yes, welcome to the other side!!!! It's all about choices...once you get a pile of good ones you will see the results of them!!!...My biggist battle is still acceptance of having to do exercise. I always have to fight my dislike and my mental blocks on it. Living in Oregon has been especially hard because of the rain..the physical things I love to do are swimming, sailing, walking along beaches, diving, snorkeling...etc in the Sunshine!!!...I'm not a lack of sunshine kind of girl...well when I accept where I live because I can't change it as fast as I wished I would o, could of...and I go for walks, and accept indoor pools...and skiing, etc...and accept that I must exercise and sweat...to wear the clothes I love...it all gets better...and I realize that it was only me making it hard for myself and it wasn't really that hard...I can watch tv and lift a few weights, turn on music and dance, get on the stationary bike and read etc...once I ignore my own mental blocks to "just doing it"..the rest is easy...it all starts in our minds....;--) ps: I am gluten free, dairy free, and very strict for the most part...for me it's the exercise...;--) Just think about beautiful clothes!!!!!!! I even find cute work out clothes so I have a reason to work out!!!! That's what motivates me...how vain is that??? ;--)

    ReplyDelete